Originally I was hoping to use a material canvas that I could use interactively by pinning things onto it, however when I went to Michael’s I couldn’t find any. I decided to purchase a large wrapped canvas instead, along with the paints and other necessary materials.
- Artist’s Loft Gallery Wrapped Traditional Canvas (36in x 48 in)
- A variety of colors of Martha Stewart Satin Acrylic Craft Paint
- Artist’s LoftFundamentals White Synthetic Brushes
- Sharpie white medium point paint pen
- Paper Plates for mixing paints
- Computer & Projector
Colorful U.S. Map Instructions:
To begin this project, I found a map of the United States that I liked online and then opened the window with the black and white image on my computer. Next I connected my printer to a projector so that the image could be projected onto the canvas. I had to prop the canvas up on a few chairs in order for it to line up with the projected image and be at an angle that was comfortable for me to trace. Then I slowly worked my way across the map lightly tracing the state’s outlines with a pencil.
I hope this Colorful United States Map tutorial was helpful for you! If you use it to create your own map, let me know! I would love to see pictures!